Fun Fact Friday: Let’s Go Fly a Kite!
By: Stevie Hoey
May 25, 2012 10:56 am CT
With Memorial Day ahead, many families are gearing up for summer. Long days at the beach, cook outs and lazy days outdoors are just a few of the activities to partake in this summer. If you’re looking for additional family-friendly activities, consider Ben Franklin’s favorite hobby…kite flying! Check out these fun facts about kite flying:
- The longest kite fly currently stands at 180 hours
- The fastest recorded speed of a kite is 120 miles per hour
- The highest altitude a kite has ever flown is 12,471 feet
- The largest number of kites flown on a single line is 11,840
- The smallest kite in the world is 5mm high
Last weekend, NATO Summit organizers gave 5,000 kites to children at Montrose Harbor in Chicago. This weekend, go fly a kite on your own! Will you break any of the records listed above?