Our Town, Our Heroes: Official Rules
“OUR TOWN, OUR HEROES” CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES NO PURCHASE NECESSARY
1. HEREʼS HOW IT WORKS: Nominate someone who is a local hero by submitting your original 150-word (or fewer) written statement describing why this individual (“Hero”) inspires you. You must also include a photograph of your Hero but photos will not be judged. You cannot nominate yourself. The “Our Town, Our Heroes” Contest (“Contest”) begins 9:00am (CT) on 1/30/12 and the last entry period ends 5:00pm (CT) on 11/16/12. Eligible entries will be judged monthly and up to 8 Finalist Entries will be posted for online voting. See Rule #3 for entry instructions and submission requirements/restrictions. See Rule #4 for nomination categories, entry deadlines and timing of online voting.
2. ELIGIBILITY: Entrants (“Nominators”) and Heroes must be residents of Illinois who are 21 years of age or older and possess a valid drivers license. Finalists and winning heroes of the 2011 Our Town, Our Heroes contest can not be nominated but may nominate. Employees of General Motors LLC, its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising, promotion and internet agencies and their immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of each are not eligible. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited by law.
3. THREE WAYS TO ENTER:
A) ONLINE: Visit drivingthemidwest.com and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the Official Contest Entry Form, input your original 150-word or fewer written statement, upload a photo of your Hero and submit your entry (collectively “Online Entry/Submission”).
B) VIA EMAIL: Send an email to: email@example.com, with the following (collectively “Email Entry/Submission”):
• Within the body of the email, include the word “Nominator,” followed by your first and last name, your complete mailing address (no P.O. Boxes), including zip code, your date of birth (mm/dd/yyyy), your e-mail address, as well as your daytime and evening telephone numbers including area code.
• Within the body of the email, include the word “Hero,” followed by the first and last name of your Hero, his/her complete mailing address (no P.O. Boxes), including zip code, date of birth (mm/dd/yyyy), e-mail address, and daytime and evening telephone numbers including area code.
• Within the body of the email, include the statement “I have read and agree to the Official Rules.”
• Your original 150-word or fewer written statement within the body of the email in text format.
• A photo of your Hero, as an attachment to the email. Emailed photos must be in .jpg format no larger than 2MB file size.
C) SPECIAL EVENTS: Visit the GM booth at a participating event in the state of Illinois to complete an Official Entry Form.
IMPORTANT: To complete an Event Entry/Submission, you must subsequently email a photo of your Hero to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Your Event Entry/Submission will be deemed ineligible if you do not email a photo of your Hero. Emailed photos must be in .jpg format no larger than 2MB file size and must include the name of your Hero.
Limit one entry per person, regardless of method of entry, per entry period. Written statements must be in English. Entries must be received by the entry deadline indicated in the chart in Rule #4 to be included in the judging for that entry period. All material submitted becomes property of Sponsor and will not be returned. No correspondence will be acknowledged or entered into.
SUBMISSION CANNOT CONTAIN, INCORPORATE OR REFERENCE ANYTHING THAT IS OWNED BY ANY THIRD PARTY OR ENTITY WITHOUT THEIR CONSENT.
• Submission must be your original work that has not won a previous prize or award. Modifying, enhancing or altering a third partyʼs preexisting work does not qualify as Entrantʼs original creation.
• The Submission cannot contain any unacceptable clothing or adornments, or display any identifiable commercial/corporate advertising other than Sponsorʼs (including but not limited to corporate logos, brand names and slogans).
• Submission cannot contain any information that references other websites, addresses, email addresses, contact information or phone numbers.
• The submission must not contain any material embodying the names, likenesses, voices or other indicia identifying any person, including but not limited to, celebrities and/or other public or private figures, living or dead, without permission.
• The submission must not contain look-alikes of celebrities or other public or private figures, living or dead, without permission.
• The Submission must not contain defamatory statements (including words or symbols that are widely considered offensive to individuals of a certain race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic group).
• The Submissions must not include threats to any person, place, business, or group; it must not invade privacy or other rights of any person, firm, entity, and it must not in any way violate applicable federal, state, or local laws and regulations as determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion.
• Submission must not include or show any dangerous behavior or activity or contain content that promotes dangerous activities that may result in injury to oneself or others, as determined in the sole discretion of judges and/or Sponsor.
• Submission may not contain indecent behavior, profanities or obscenities, including but not limited to nudity, or pornography, and may not in any way disparage persons or organizations associated with Sponsor.
• Sponsor/judges reserve the right in their sole discretion to disqualify any Entry/Submission that, in their sole opinion, refers, depicts or in any way reflects negatively upon the Sponsor, the Contest or any other person or entity, or does not comply with these requirements or these Official Rules.
• Submission must be suitable for presentation in a public forum, in sole determination of judges and/or Sponsor.
• By entering, Nominator attests that he/she has received permission from other person(s) depicted/named in the Submission for Sponsor to use their name(s)/likeness(es) for publicity including, but not limited to posting on website(s) and must make written copies of such permissions available to the Sponsor upon request. Nominator must also receive prior written permission from the photographer of the photo if the photo Submission was taken by someone other than the Nominator him/herself. Nominator must make written copies of such permissions available to the Sponsor upon request. Persons under the age of 13 may not appear in a photo Submission without parental consent.
• By entering, 1) Nominator certifies that the Submission he/she submitted is his/her own original work and he/she holds all rights to the Submission, that the Submission has not won a previous prize or award and that he/she has followed and complied with the Official Rules of the Contest and 2) Nominator hereby grants Sponsor the right to post Submission on drivingthemidwest.com, should Nominator’s Submission be deemed a Finalist Entry.
4. NOMINATION CATEGORIES, ENTRY DEADLINES AND TIMING OF ONLINE VOTING:
|Entry Period & Nomination Category||Entry to be Received by (Central Time)||Online Voting Begins (Central Time)||Online Voting Ends (Central Time)|
|#1 – “General”||5:00pm on 2/10/12||9:00am on 2/13/12||5:00pm on 2/27/12|
|#2 – “Teachers”||5:00pm on 3/1/12||9:00am on 3/5/12||5:00pm on 3/19/12|
|#3 –“General”||5:00pm on 3/30/12||9:00am on 4/2/12||5:00pm on 4/16/12|
|#4 – Military||5:00pm on 4/30/12||9:00am on 5/2/12||5:00pm on 5/16/12|
|#5 – “General”||5:00pm on 5/31/12||9:00am on 6/4/12||5:00pm on 6/18/12|
|#6 – “Coaches & Mentors”||5:00pm on 6/29/12||9:00am on 7/3/12||5:00pm on 7/17/12|
|#7 – “General”||5:00pm on 7/31/12||9:00am on 8/2/12||5:00pm on 8/16/12|
|#8 – “General”||5:00pm on 8/31/12||9:00am on 9/4/12||5:00pm on 9/18/12|
|#9 – “General”||5:00pm on 9/28/12||9:00am on 10/2/12||5:00pm on 10/16/12|
|#10 – “Military”||5:00pm on 10/31/12||9:00am on 11/2/12||5:00pm on 11/16/12|
5. JUDGING: All entries received for each entry period will be judged to determine up to 8 Finalist entries. All judging will be based on the following criteria: Originality & Creativity – 50%; Inspirational Value – 50%. In the event of a tie, tied entries will be broken based on the highest score for Inspirational Value. The Hero in each of the potential Finalist entries will be required to execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility/Release of Liability/Publicity Release before they can be considered as a finalist. Noncompliance within this time period as undeliverable will result in disqualification without further notice and an alternate Finalist entry may be selected, time permitting. If Sponsor is unable to verify 8 Finalist Heroes for a specific entry period, online voting will proceed with the number of verified Finalists. If a Hero in a potential Finalist entry cannot be verified prior to the online voting period for the entry period/nomination category it was submitted but is subsequently verified, the Sponsor reserves the right to include and post the entry for any subsequent online voting period, time permitting. If fewer than three eligible entries are received for any entry period, no finalists will be announced for that round and no prizes will be awarded for that entry period.
6. ONLINE VOTING: Up to 8 Finalist entries will posted on drivingthemidwest.com during each of the online voting timeframes specified in the chart in Rule #4, for each corresponding entry period. During these dates, website visitors will be given the opportunity to select their favorite Entry to determine the Grand Prize winner for that entry period, by following the online instructions. Limit one vote per IP address per day. The Hero in the Finalist entry that receives the highest number of eligible votes will be deemed the Grand Prize winner; the Nominator that submitted that entry will be deemed a First Prize winner. The Hero and Nominator of the Finalist entry that gets the next highest number of eligible votes will each be deemed First Prize winners.
7. PRIZES: (10) Grand Prizes (one per entry period; awarded to Hero in the Finalist entry that receives the most votes as described in Rule #6) – A “Hero” package, with a total approximate retail value of $575.00, to be customized by Sponsor. Prize includes the use of a Sponsor-specified Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac vehicle for 7 consecutive days with one full tank of gas (approx. retail value $75) plus $500 worth of Sponsor-specified gift cards; (30) First Prizes (three per entry period; one awarded to the Nominator that submitted the entry that receives the most votes; one awarded to each of the Hero and Nominator that gets the second highest number of votes) – Use of a Sponsor-specified Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac vehicle for 7 consecutive days with one full tank of gas (approx. retail value $75). Prizes consist of only the items specifically listed as part of the prize. Limit one prize per person.
Use of vehicle is subject to additional restrictions set forth by General Motors. Vehicle pick-up/return location will be at a Sponsor-specified location in the state of Illinois. Winners must possess a valid driverʼs license during use of vehicle and will be required to sign an additional release form for use of GM vehicle. Winners must schedule vehicle loan within 2 weeks after they have been notified and take delivery of vehicle loan within 6 weeks or according to Sponsor availability. If winner does not meet GM requirements for use of vehicle, or does not sign required forms, Sponsor will have no obligation to award compensation in lieu thereof. Gift cards are subject to terms and conditions of their issuer(s).
8. GENERAL RULES: Potential Finalists and Winners will be notified by phone and/or e-mail. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prize of equal or greater value. All applicable taxes are the sole responsibility of winner. In no event will more than the stated number of prizes be awarded. If an entrant submits more than the stated number of entries permitted, and/or if the Sponsor suspects that an entrant attempted to obtain additional entries by using multiple email addresses, registrations, identities or any other method, all entries submitted by the entrant may be declared null and void. Sponsor/judges reserve the right to: (a) use Hero’s and/or Nominator’s name and likeness and reproduce/distribute all Entries submitted in any and all media throughout the world in perpetuity, (b) alter, amend, edit or change Entries prior to distribution and (c) use, distribute, reproduce, alter, amend and copyright Entries for purposes of
advertising and trade (including posting on social media sites, on www.drivingthemidwest.com and other media opportunities as determined by Sponsor), without further compensation, unless prohibited by law. By accepting prize, winners agrees to hold Sponsor, its directors, officers, employees, promotion agencies and assigns, harmless against any and all claims and liability arising out of use of prize. Winners assume all liability for any injury or damage caused, or claimed to be caused, by participation in this promotion or use or redemption of any prize. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for the Sponsor and its agencies to use winnersʼ names and/or likenesses and/or entry submissions for purposes of advertising and trade (including posting on social media sites, on drivingthemidwest.com.
SPONSOR: General Motors LLC, 100 Renaissance Center, Detroit, MI 48265.